Air Fryer Beef Suya
Looking for a Nigerian snack? Air fryer beef suya is a scrumptious snack/finger food for when you just want a treat or when you are hosting. It is super easy to prepare and very delicious; just great for the holiday period when everyone is at home and there’s a lot of grazing happening.Jump to Recipe
Suya is skewered and grilled meat pieces; which would have been marinated in ground kulikuli (kulikuli is deep fried peanut paste, which is eaten as a snack) with a blend of other spices. The suya meat is prepared on open grills and served with tomato and onions. It is a very popular street food in Nigeria.
This well seasoned air fryer beef suya is the easiest Nigerian snack ever! It cooks in only 15 mins. The air fryer crisps and browns the meat slightly , such that it looks and tastes like the suya prepared on open grills.
I always make my own suya spice mix; I found the taste is closer to the real thing than the ones I’ve bought in the past. It is very easy to make as long as you can get peanut powder or even peanut butter (with no added sugar of course!). Chicken suya wrap has more information about the suya spice ingredients, if you are interested. Keep left-over suya spice in an air-tight jar and it will last for months.
How To Make Air Fryer Beef Suya
It is important to choose a tender cut of meat without connective tissues for air fryer beef suya recipe. You can use other meat types – goat meat, mutton or even chicken breast all work very well with suya spice.
Finally, don’t overcrowd the air fryer. Place the beef slices in one layer to allow even cooking.
Air Fryer Beef Suya
- Air Fryer
- 4 Tablespoons Peanut butter powder
- 3 Tablespoons Paprika
- 2 Tablespoons Ginger powder
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon Onion powder
- 1 Teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1 Tablespoon Chilli flakes
- 250 g Beef
- Salt to taste
- Make suya spice by mixing the peanut butter powder, paprika, ginger, garlic, onion, nutmeg and chilli powder in a bowl.
- Cut the beef into thin slices.
- Pour in a bowl and toss in three tablespoons of suya spice with some salt. Make sure all the meat pieces are covered.
- Switch on the air-fryer and set to 160 °C.
- Place the meat pieces on the tray in a single layer and close.
- After 10 mins, the meat should be cooked and will be starting to dry out. Add a sprinkle of the suya spice over the beef pieces.
- Leave for another 5 mins.
- Remove from the air fryer.