Homemade tangy, refreshing sparkling zobo drink with ginger and cloves is great for cooling off on a hot day or as a non-alcoholic drink for your next barbecue. The bright red colour of the drink looks attractive in a glass which kids love; it is a healthy option for them too.
Zobo is the Nigerian local name for hibiscus/roselle calyces drink. It is also known as sobolo and bissap across Africa. You can read more about zobo here.
This sparkling hibiscus drink is delicious and a healthy alternative to store bought sparkling drinks which are full of artificial colours and preservatives. Zobo not only makes a refreshing drink, it also has a lot of health benefits as explained by Healthline.
This Is What You Need To Make Sparkling Zobo Drink
A few notes about the ingredients...
- Sugar: Can be substituted with honey or your preferred sweetener.
- Sparkling Water – If you don’t like the taste of carbonated drink, you can replace the sparkling water with regular table water.
How To Make Zobo Drink
Slice the limes and keep aside. Slice the ginger roots thinly.
Add into a pan with the cloves. Add 4 cups water and allow to roll boil for 5 mins.
Wash the hibiscus calyces. Add into the pan and allow to boil for 5 mins.
Remove from heat. Add the sugar, mix properly and allow the calyces to steep for 10 mins.
Sieve the liquid and allow to cool.
Pour the liquid into a jug. Add sparkling water. The quantity of water depends on how light you want the zobo drink to be. Add some lime slices. Add more sugar if required.
Serve with ice cubes and garnish with lime slices.
Recipe FAQ And Notes
Can I prepare zobo drink ahead? It makes sense to prepare ahead as you have to wait for the drink to cool . It will keep well in the fridge for a few days. Just add the lime, carbonated water and serve with ice when you are ready.
How to Make Zobo Thick – How thick you zobo is depends on how much water you allow the calyces to steep in. If you want to make a concentrate to keep in the fridge. One cup hibiscus calyces to two cups water will make a highly concentrated liquid, which you can dilute to your taste later.
Where can I find Zobo – The hibiscus calyces are sold in Asian and African shops. You can also buy on Amazon.
What else can I make with zobo – This recipe is to inspire you. Once you have the concentrated zobo drink, you can have a play with different recipes. Add your favourite fruit or drink to make a non-alcoholic cocktail. Or just dilute with hot or cold water and honey for a simple refreshing drink.
You must try this warming spiced zobo drink, which is great on cold winter days.
Refreshing Sparkling Zobo Drink
- 1 cup Dried hibiscus calyces
- ½ cup Sugar
- 3 cm Ginger
- 1 teaspoon Cloves
- 2 Limes
- Sparkling water
- Slice the limes and keep aside.
- Slice the ginger roots thinly and add into a pan with the cloves. Add 4 cups of water and allow to roll boil for 5 mins.
- Wash the hibiscus calyces. Add into the pan and allow to boil for 5 mins.
- Remove from heat. Add the sugar, mix properly and allow the calyces to steep for 10 mins.
- Sieve the liquid and allow to cool.
- Pour the liquid into a jug. Add sparking water. The quantity you add will depend on how light you want the drink to be. Add lime slices and more sugar if required.
- Serve with ice cubes and garnish with lime slices.