Chicken Suya Tray BakeJump to Recipe
Everyone loves a tray bake, right? It is the perfect “not sure what to have” meal and doesn’t come better than this simple, but delicious crispy chicken suya tray bake with potatoes and cherry tomatoes. Tray bakes (same as sheet pan dinner) are convenient and great for busy days or night; just toss the ingredients with seasoning, pour on a tray and chuck in the oven. Very easy!
This chicken suya sheet pan dinner is nutritious and packed full of West African flavours. It makes it easy to enjoy mouth-watering suya flavours with very little preparation. If you are not familiar with the West African suya spice, then you must read this post.
How To Make Suya Chicken Tray Bake
Here Is What You Need…
- Suya Spice
- Chicken legs
- Cherry tomatoes
- Green peppers
- Red Onions
A few notes about the ingredients;
Chicken: You substitute can chicken legs for thighs or wings, but I recommend chicken on bone; as it is more juicy. You will need to adjust the cooking time depending on the size of your chicken.
Vegetables: The Idea behind tray bakes/sheet pans is to chuck whatever you have on a pan. Feel free to swap the vegetables with whatever you have available
Suya spice: You can make your own spice mix or use a good store bought mix. I have included suya spice recipe in case you want to make your own. I usually make more than I need, store in an airtight container and use over many weeks.
How To Make It
Heat the oven to 2000C or 1800C fan.
Mix half of the suya spice with butter or oil, add a little salt; then rub all over the skin of the chicken. Rub under the skin where possible too to get as much flavour as possible.
Toss the vegetables in oil with a sprinkle of the suya spice. Keep the tomatoes and peppers separate from the potatoes and onions. They will be added in at different times during the cooking with the tomatoes ad peppers added later to prevent mushy vegetables.
Place the chicken on the pan, then arrange the potatoes and onions around the pieces. Allow to cook for 30 mins. Bring out of the oven, turn the potatoes over to get both sides crispy and sprinkle some more suya spice mix over the chicken. Add the tomatoes and the green peppers.
Place the tray back in the oven. Allow to cook for further 10 mins. Check that the chicken is cooked through before removing from the oven.
Another tray bake you must try…
Chicken Suya Tray Bakes
Suya Spice Recipe
- 4 Tablespoons Peanut butter powder
- 3 Tablespoons Paprika
- 2 Tablespoons Ginger powder
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon Onion powder
- 1 Tablespoon Chilli flakes
- 1 Teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
Chicken Suya Tray Bake
- 3 Chicken legs
- 2 Tablespoons Oil
- 3 Tablespoons Suya Spice
- 250 g Cherry tomatoes
- 500 g Potatoes Peeled and cut into smaller pieces
- 2 Green peppers Sliced
- 1 Red Onion Sliced
- Heat the oven to 2000C or 1800C fan.
- Mix half of the suya spice with butter or oil, add a little salt; then rub all over the skin of the chicken. Rub under the skin where possible too.
- Toss the vegetables in oil, with a sprinkle of the spices. Keep the tomatoes and peppers separate from the potatoes and onions.
- Place the chicken on the pan, then arrange the potatoes and onions around the pieces.
- Allow the to cook for 30 mins.
- Bring out of the oven, turn the potatoes over and sprinkle some more spice mix over the chicken.
- Add the tomatoes and the green peppers.
- Place the tray back in the oven
- Allow to cook for further 10 mins. Check that the chicken is cooked through before removing from the oven.