Who doesn’t love a pancake, right? My delicious courgette fritter recipe was inspired by Korean pajeon, which is a savoury pancake made with spring onions. The abundance of soft veggies, with lightly fragrant spring onions makes this savoury pancake super tasty.Jump to Recipe
Vegetable fritters are generally a good way to include more vegetables in the diet. It is a particularly good way to hide vegetables when you have picky eaters. My little miss “I don’t like vegetables” scoffs this courgette fritter down with joy; despite that fact that I added carrots to the recipe just to get more vegetables in.
This courgette fritter is soft, delicious and works perfectly as a meal, a meal accompaniment or a snack. It is quick and easy to prepare too. In fact, it is not very different to making a pancake. It is a savoury pancake with loads of vegetables. You only need to grate the vegetables, and you’re good to go.
Courgette pancake is great for breakfast at the weekends when you have a bit more time to indulge…and lunch too. It can also be eaten as a snack. It still tastes yummy when it is cold, so you can pack it for next day’s lunch like I do with left overs.
If you’re up for another delicious savoury pancake recipe suitable for vegetarians and vegans, you can also try this yummy chickpea pancake.
Courgette Fritters Recipe
This recipe is adaptable; you can make it gluten free by replacing the all-purpose flour with chickpea or coconut flour. You can reduce or increase the water quantity depending on how thin or thick you like your fritters.
Allowing the batter to rest for some time will allow gluten to relax, which will make for a lighter and fluffier fritter. Finally, it is important to press out the liquid in vegetables with high water content like the courgette otherwise the fritter could become soggy inside.
- 1 cup All purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Smoked paprika
- 3 Eggs
- 1 cup Water
- 1 Carrot medium
- 2 Courgette medium
- 1 bunch Spring onion around 8 stalks
- Oil for frying
- Salt to taste
- Combine the flour and smoked paprika in a bowl.
- Make a well in the middle and break the eggs in.
- Whisk gently and add water gradually to make a smooth batter. Allow the batter to rest while you prepare the vegetables.
- Grate the courgette and the carrot. Place on a clean kitchen cloth and squeeze to release the liquid.
- Cut the ends off the spring onions and cut each one into two.
- Stir in the courgette, carrot and spring onions into the batter.
- Add salt to taste.
- Heat oil in a non-stick frying pan.
- Use a ladle to pour the batter into the frying pan.
- Allow to cook for around for around 2 mins, then turn over and allow the other side to cook too.
- Serve whilst still warm with a sauce of your choice.