Summer is nearly over and sweetcorn season is gradually coming to an end. This shouldn’t stop you from making this creamy and delicious corn salad recipe any time of the year as it works very well with frozen sweetcorn.
Creamy corn salad is an easy side dish, which you can make quickly with store cupboard and freezer ingredient.
Creamy Corn Salad Recipe
This is what you need...
Grated cheddar cheese
A few notes about the recipe
- Corn: For an all season salad, frozen sweetcorn works best. However, if you have fresh corn on the cob available, the you must use it for a crispy corn salad. If fresh and frozen corn are not available, canned corn can be used as a substitute, although it won’t be as firm as fresh or frozen (if cooked properly).
How To Cook Frozen Corn
- Microwave: This is the easiest method. Pour the corn into a microwaveable bowl straight from the freezer. Add a tablespoon of water. Place in the microwave at a high setting for 3 minutes. Remove and pour in a colander to drain.
- Boil: Pour the frozen sweetcorn into a pot. Add some water and allow to come to a boil. Leave for 2 minutes, then remove from heat. Pour in a colander to drain.
- Saute: Allow to the corn to defrost and drain away any excess water in a colander. Heat a tablespoon of oil in a frying pan and pour in the sweetcorn, be careful not to overload the pan as you want the corn to heat up very quickly. Stir continuously until all the corn kernels are heated through. It shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes.
How to Make It
Cook the frozen sweetcorn in according to your preference for microwave, boiling or sautéing. If you are using canned corn, make sure you buy brands with no added sugar or salt and drain in colander before using.
Wash and chop the bell pepper and spring onions.
Pour in a bowl with the sweet corn.
Add the cheese and mayonnaise.
Mix well and keep in the fridge.
Recipe FAQ and Notes
You can prepare the salad ingredients ahead of time and keep in the fridge. Only assemble when you are ready to serve for fresh, crispy salad. Once mayonnaise has been added, it should last 24hrs in the fridge, but no longer as the salad starts to "weep" and become runny.
Corn salad is perfect for potlucks and barbecues. It is great served with grilled fish and meat. It is also a perfect side to chips, tortilla and rice. Surprise your guests by serving it with jollof the next time you are hosting.
Creamy Corn Salad
- 2 cups Frozen sweetcorn or 2 cans drained
- 1 Red pepper big
- 2 Spring onions
- ½ cup Grated cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons Mayonnaise
- Cook the frozen sweetcorn in according to your preference for microwave, boiling or sautéing.
- Wash and chop the bell pepper and spring onions.
- Pour in a bowl with the sweet corn.
- Add the cheese and mayonnaise.
- Mix well and keep in the fridge.