Homemade granola is easy to make and tastes better than the sugar laden store-bought ones. The no bake granola is prepared on the stove top and packed full of wholesome ingredients for a filling and nutritious breakfast. This recipe is great for people who do not have access to an oven. All you need is a frying pan and your regular cooking hob/stove.
This simple no bake granola recipe is to inspire you. The ingredients are a guide, feel free to use whatever you have at hand. All you need is oats and the possibilities are endless with the added ingredients.
Whether you like to eat it as a snack, with milk, yogurt or as a topper for desserts like crumbles, homemade granola gives you a control over what you eat as you know exactly what has gone into it.
This Is What You Need To Make No Bake Granola
Nuts and seeds - Almond, pecans and sunflower seeds
Dried fruits - Cranberries
Spice - Cinnamon
Oil - Coconut oil
Sweetener - Honey
A few notes about ingredients…
- Oats – Rolled oat is best for granola recipe as it holds up to the toasting process; and if you can find jumbo rolled oats; even better. Quick or instant oat will not hold up as well.
- Seeds and Nuts – These are needed for crunch and extra nutrients. I used pecans, almonds and sunflower seeds; you can use your preferred nuts and seeds e.g. pumpkin seeds, cashew nuts, peanuts etc. Crush the nuts into smaller pieces if you like smaller bites.
- Dried fruits – This gives chewiness and sweetness and you can substitute with other dried fruits like raisins, sultanas, dates and cherries etc. coconut slices work very well in granola too.
- Spices – You can add your preferred spices to granola. I have kept it simple on this recipe by just adding cinnamon. Feel free to change this. You can add sweet or savoury spices depending on which taste you are aiming for. Whatever your aim is, start with a small quantity and adjust as you go so as not to overpower the taste of the granola.
- Oil- I like coconut oil because of the sweet aroma and flavour. You can use other oils depending on what is available.
How To Make No Bake Granola
Heat a large frying pan under medium heat.
Add a tablespoon of coconut oil to the pan and swirl to coat the pan, pour the oats in.
Stir continuously to toast the oats. Remove from heat when the oats become light brown colour, this should take around 5 mins.
Empty the oats out of the pan and place the pan back on the hob.
Pour in the remaining oil, honey and cinnamon. Mix properly and reduce the heat to very low.
Add the oats, nuts and dried fruits into the pan and mix properly. Continue to stir to allow the granola to cook until it becomes toasty and crispy. This should take another 5 mins. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Store in an air-tight jar
Recipe FAQ & Notes
How do I make my granola clustered? Easy! Just add a bit more sweetener to bind and press down immediately after cooking to compress. Do not stir until cooled.
How do I store granola? Store in air-tight container and it will last for up to 2 weeks.
Will granola make me bloated? Oats are high in fibre, which makes us feel fuller for longer. Our bodies are not able to digest fibre, so it moves to the lower intestine where it is broken down by bacteria inside our bodies. In the process, some gases are produced which may cause bloating in some people. This will happen with most high fibre food.
No Bake Granola
- Heat a large frying pan under medium heat.
- Add a tablespoon of coconut oil to the pan and swirl to coat the pan, pour the oats in.
- Stir continuously to toast the oats. Remove from heat when the oats become light brown colour, this should take around 5 mins.
- Empty the oats out of the pan and place the pan back on the hob.
- Pour in the remaining oil, honey and cinnamon. Mix properly and reduce the heat to very low.
- Add the oats, nuts and dried fruits into the pan and mix properly. Continue to stir to allow the granola to cook until it becomes toasty and crispy. This should take another 5 mins.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
Other delicious breakfast recipes to try are;