Curried Couscous Recipe
Fluffy curried couscous packed with colourful vegetables is great as a main meal or served as a side with your favourite protein. This simple couscous recipe is mostly savoury with some sweetness from the vegetables.
Couscous is cheap, easy to rustle up, filling and very versatile. It is a great alternative to rice or pasta and is great at absorbing flavours. It soaks up the golden yellow colour of the curry as well as the nice aromatics in this recipe. Curried couscous recipe is ready in 20 mins. It is great for when you are starving and perfect for midweek dinner.
How To Make Curried Couscous
Here’s what you need to make curried couscous;
Couscous requires liquid to rehydrate. I find that a ratio of 1 cup or 1 ½ cup of liquid (depending on the application) to 1 cup of couscous works very well. For this recipe, 1 cup of water is just perfect.
I used a bit more oil than I would normally use in cooking so the couscous would not be too dry to be enjoyed without a dressing or sauce.
If using frozen vegetables, allow to thaw before cooking.
Curried couscous will keep in the fridge for 3 days.
- 3 tablespoons Oil
- ½ Onions medium, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 tablespoon Mild curry powder
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric
- ½ teaspoon Pepper flakes
- 1 Bell Pepper chopped
- ½ cup Sweetcorn
- ½ cup Green peas
- 1 cup Couscous
- 1 cup Water
- Add the oil into a pan under medium heat.
- Add the onion and allow to cook until translucent. This should take around 3 mins.
- Pour in the garlic and stir continuously for 30 secs. Add the curry powder, turmeric and pepper flakes. Continue to stir for another 30 secs.
- Add the vegetables and mix well. Cook for 5 mins, stirring occasionally. Heat water in a kettle or pot.
- Add couscous into the pan, pour in a cup of boiling water and mix well. Add some salt to taste and cover the pan.
- Remove the pan from heat and allow the couscous to rehydrate for 5 mins.
- Fluff with a fork and serve.
If you like this recipe, then you must also try this creamy coconut noodles recipe.