I have always found the satay sauce from Chinese take away restaurants too sweet, which made me stay away from this wonderfully flavoured sauce until I learnt how to make my own. Now I make satay recipe just the way I like – without the sugar. This homemade satay stir fry noodles with vegetables is delicious, quick, easy to prepare and makes a great vegetarian dinner or lunch.Jump to Recipe
Even if you like the satay sauce from the take away restaurants, there is nothing that stops you from making this sauce from the scratch and enjoying it at home whenever you feel like. It is doesn’t take a long time to prepare and calls for easily available store cupboard ingredients. More importantly, you can adapt it to suit your own taste.
Satay has its origins in south east Asia. The traditional satay recipe is prepared with ground roasted peanut, but I used peanut butter in this recipe for ease, and noodle stir fry tasted amazing.
This super tasty vegetarian satay recipe is versatile. Apart from this stir fry noodles, you can use it to make rice or vegetable stir fries and dips; as well as marinade for skewers and barbecues.
Satay Stir Fry Noodles Recipe
You can use ramen noodles (Indomie) or egg noodles for this satay stir fry, depending on what is available. I used the “Indomie” brand noodles because I had some at home.
I have separated out the recipe for satay sauce and the noodles stir fry so you can use the sauce for other purposes; you can use it for satay skewers as well as barbecue meats and vegetables.
I didn’t use any sugars in this recipe because I don’t like the sweet taste, but you can add some brown sugar if you prefer the traditionally sweet sauce.
Satay Noddles Stir Fry
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- ½ Onion chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic chopped
- 2 tablespoons Peanut butter
- 1 tablespoons Soy sauce
- 200 ml Coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons Cooking oil
- ½ Onion chopped
- ¼ head Purple Cabbage shredded
- 1 Carrot shredded
- 1 cup Green beans sliced
- 1 Red Pepper sliced
- 1 Chilli
- 400 g Cooked noodles Ramen or Egg – 400g
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a pan.
- Cook the onions in the oil until soft and translucent.
- Pour in the garlic and cook for 30 secs.
- Add the peanut butter, soy sauce and coconut milk.
- Allow to cook for about 5 mins, while stirring to prevent sticking.
- Remove from heat.
- Add the oil to a frying pan.
- Cook the remaining onions until soft and translucent.
- Pour in the purple cabbage, green leaves, red pepper and chilli.
- Allow the vegetables to cook while stirring
- Add the satay sauce and the cooked noodles.
- Sprinkle in some salt if required.
- Stir and allow the noodles to heat through.
- Remove from heat and serve.